Newborn Death Attorneys Grand Rapids, Michigan
The birth of a child should be the happiest moment in a parent’s life. Losing your child at birth is unimaginable, especially if her death was caused by the negligence of a doctor, nurse, or other healthcare provider. When the unthinkable happens, the attorneys at Hoffer & Sheremet can guide you through the process of determining whether your child’s death was due to negligence on the part of the doctor or hospital staff. Here are some answers to frequently asked questions about newborn death lawsuits. Please also refer to our wrongful death page and our article Wrongful Death 101 for a more detailed explanation of the law and procedure governing wrongful death lawsuits.
I think my doctor made a mistake. What next?
If you believe that you or a loved one suffered injury and damages due to negligence at the hands of medical professionals, contact Hoffer & Sheremet. The next steps would typically include the following:
- Gather and review medical records;
- Retain expert witnesses;
- Speak to treatment providers about your prognosis;
- Interview you and close loved ones regarding the impact the injury has had on your life;
- Calculate your medical expenses, out of pocket expenses, lost wages, loss of future earnings and other economic damages;
- Send a demand letter to the hospital and medical providers to attempt pre-suit settlement;
- Serve a Notice of Intent on the hospital and medical providers;
- At the expiration of the Notice of Intent waiting period, file the Complaint and Affidavit of Merit to initiate litigation;
- Conduct discovery;
- Handle motions, court proceedings, and facilitation;
- Try the case if there is no settlement.
Get the compassion you deserve.
If you believe that your baby suffered injury and/or death due to negligence at the hands of medical professionals, contact Hoffer & Sheremet today for a free consultation with the form below.