Bowel Injury Attorney Grand Rapids, Michigan
A bowel injury occurs when a doctor perforates, cuts, or burns a hole in the lining of the colon during surgery or a procedure like a colonoscopy. Contents of the colon then leak into the abdominal cavity causing inflammation and infection. This can lead to severe complications, and even death.
A doctor’s failure to timely recognize and treat the injury, either during the procedure or when the patient first complains of the tell-tale signs, puts the patient’s life in danger and may be medical malpractice.
Bowel Injury FAQs
I think my doctor made a mistake. What next?
If you believe that you or a loved one suffered injury and damages due to negligence at the hands of medical professionals, contact Hoffer & Sheremet. The next steps would typically include the following:
- Gather and review medical records;
- Retain expert witnesses;
- Speak to treatment providers about your prognosis;
- Interview you and close loved ones regarding the impact the injury has had on your life;
- Calculate your medical expenses, out of pocket expenses, lost wages, loss of future earnings and other economic damages;
- Send a demand letter to the hospital and medical providers to attempt pre-suit settlement;
- Serve a Notice of Intent on the hospital and medical providers;
- At the expiration of the Notice of Intent waiting period, file the Complaint and Affidavit of Merit to initiate litigation;
- Conduct discovery;
- Handle motions, court proceedings, and facilitation;
- Try the case if there is no settlement.
Get the compassion you deserve.
If you believe that you or a loved one suffered injury and damages due to negligence at the hands of medical professionals, contact Hoffer & Sheremet today for a free consultation.